Finding My Voice

Mi, mi, mi …

La La La La L a …

Do Re Mi Fa So La , what? Oh, my blog voice! Sorry…


When I started this project I would read the veteran bloggers talk about a blog needing to find its “voice.” I remember thinking, “yeah, yeah, whatever. I’m smart enough to write a blog post.”

Yesterday was the one month birthday of this blog and I’m starting to understand what they meant. It’s more than fair to say that we have been lacking in focus. We have chastised annoying Web2.0 prowlers, defended bloggers that didn’t need it, had some fun with celebrity bloggers, come up with a good idea or two, made some new friends and managed to develop a healthy gallery of regular readers. (That one still surprises me.)

I just can’t express how thankful I am to all of you guys for sticking around through all of the wandering posts. It’s very flattering and humbling at the same time. I can assure you this would never have worked if it weren’t for you guys. Thank You!

Things I’ve learned

I could never list everything I have learned over the last few weeks and will not try, but I will share what I feel are the most important guideline to a successful blog.

  1. Blog about things you are passionate about.
  2. Don’t try to blog about things you don’t know. It will show.
  3. Have a conversation with your readers.
  4. Post consistently.

I think anyone who follows these primary rules will eventually have a successful blog with a loyal following.

Where To Go From Here

I plan to continue sharing things I’ve found and learned if I think they might save you some time or enrich your life in some way, only with perhaps a bit more focus. I will continue to mix the serious and helpful with the satire and sarcasm, however, I may put a little more effort into the serious stuff. Maybe, if I can. We’ll see.

Here’s the really cool thing about a blog; it’s mine and I can do anything I want with it just like you choose to read it or not. I love our conversations and sharing and I want you to always feel free to give me feedback, positive or negative. This project is a two way street and I’m luvin’ the ride.

How do you feel about your blog?

5 comments:

Rhys said...

Me being honest: I don't know why this blog caught my attention A.T., but it did. It's nice finding a voice on somebody who wouldn't mind a bit of bunts (UK slang for cash), but is not going to piss off readers by doing so. :)

Regarding my blog? Well I've been going for five years, and only now is it beginning to pay off. Don't want to scare you, but keep going because you enjoy blogging, and things will come good :)

Ad Tracker said...

Rhys - You built a Blogger profile!

Seriously, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot coming from a veteran like yourself. I really appreciate it.

I've often wondered why you hung around. I really thought it meant I was a #3 and you were just waiting for the train wreck ;-)

P.S.

Did you notice John Chow in the MBL Widget? He spent 23:00 minutes here this afternoon.

HAHA!!! I do love this stuff!

Anonymous said...

You're doing great. Great posts, great blog vibe.

Ad Tracker said...

Baron - Thanks for the encouragement. I really am having more fun with this than ever thought possible :-)

Karen said...

your blog is so cool that I'm learning more how to blog properly with less than personal matters involved! keep on blogging:)