Winners Review - The WWW Observer

 

Last weekend we ran a contest where the entrants had to answer the question, "Why Blog?" As you may recall, we didn't have very many entries, so I decided to award the prize of a blog review to everyone who took the time to enter.

 

Through a super-secret, ultra-complicated and high-tech method involving a quarter, my hands and a special algorithm, I determined The WWW Observer to be the first blog to go under the microscope.

 

Why Blog

 

Jug's response was, by far, the most concise but, informational just the same.

 

"My motivation for blogging? Well, my subscribers, I think (and maybe some of the cash they're bringing).. Without them, I'd stop blogging right on the spot. I just really want people to be able to know what's on my mind."

 

You Gotta Love Timing

 

As luck would have it, The WWW Observer had just rolled out a new design when I showed up with my magnifying glass and cool, blue, CSI flashlight. I've got to say, it looks very good. Nice, clean 2-column WordPress theme with a thin header and lots of white space. Very Web 2.0.

 

SEO and Beyond

 

The WWW Observer provides a lot of informative articles in the SEO catagory, as well as a tremendous amount of quality information in the Internet Marketing, Webmastering and Make Money Online fields, with a fair amount of Meta Blogging thrown in.

 

There is enough good information and advice on The WWW Observer that I found it difficult to get this review finished. I kept getting distracted reading posts.

 

My Opinions

 

I like the look of The WWW Observer. Of course, there are a few things I would recommend.

 

While they do offer a text link to the RSS feed at the foot of each post, the actual subscription button is easy to miss at the very top of the page. On the subject of RSS, I would highly recommend using FeedBurner and offering readers the opportunity to sign up for email updates.

 

The "About" page is pretty thin. (Like I should talk.) The author goes by the pseudonym Juggler but the site offers virtually no information about them, though the content shows they obviously posses a decent amount of knowledge on the subjects presented.

 

I get the impression from my reading, the author may not be a native English speaker. If this is the case, I would recommend getting it out in the open. The grammatical mistakes that catch the attention of Americans would more likely be overlooked. John Chow is up front about his language issues and people cut him a lot of slack. If this is not the case, I recommend paying closer attention to grammar.

 

I might switch some other stuff around but, in reality, that stuff is all just personal preference.

 

Advertising

 

Along with the new design came some new advertising opportunities which are available at some very attractive introductory rates. With a Google PR of 3, an Alexa rank of 97,487 and daily unique visitors in the hundreds, it might be something to look into.

 

Summary

 

The WWW Observer provides a clean look and good information. Posts come on a regular basis with information from a position of knowledge. When you stop in to visit, be sure to leave a comment. The WWW Observer is DoFollow. Who couldn't use a little PR3 Google juice?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very indepth and constructive review. I hope you are as nice to me as you were to Juggler.

Just fyi, I am very close to finalizing my new theme with the designer. I'll let you know as soon as it's up and running.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great review. You're right, I'm not a native English speaker, I'm from somewhere in Asia. Now I'd definitely pay closer attention to my English class. I still have a lot to learn, I'm just a 2nd year high school student. (And my secret is revealed.)

Ad Tracker said...

@ Joe - Thanks, I'm usually pretty nice ;)

Take your time, there's no rush.


@ Jug - You're welcome. Glad you liked it.

I kinda thought you might be. I can't imagine how difficult it is to write fluently in a different language.

You're doing a good job and, like I said, if you'll let people know about the issue it will become a non-issue :)

CityStreams said...

Great review although I must confess your blog is way over my head! Thanks for stopping by my giveaway page. The winner will be announced on Monday!

http://citystreams.blogspot.com/

Ad Tracker said...

CityStreams - Thanks, I'm sorry you feel it's over your head. I don't try to be.

Thanks for the heads-up and thanks for stopping by :)