Cold Turkey!

 

And I don't mean holiday leftovers, although I think there may be some turkey left in the freezer...hmm...

 

...No, No, back to what I was saying. I just lived through a terrible and ground shaking experience. I'm talking anxiety, cold sweats, lack of sleep, the whole thing. This is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, much less a friend.

 

I have spent the last 2 1/2 days without any internet access. NONE. Period.

 

Everything was just rocking along in Trackerland Friday morning. Before I got out of bed I had planned out all of the wonderful internet things I needed to get done that day (posting here for one), then I turned on the computer and tried to check email........nuthin', I tried to get online with my browser......nuthin'.

 

That's OK, not to panic, I've seen this before, I'm a windows PC user. I go through the usual process of resetting routers and modems, disabling wireless cards and rebooting computers, all in different orders, hoping to stumble on that secret magical combination that brings the internet back to my fingertips.

 

Nuthin'

 

OK, my ISP (the only option in town) is the small, local phone company. They've gone down before, usually only for an hour or two at most. (Although there was that time a few years ago when some idiot with a back-hoe took out a fiber-optic trunk line and killed our long distance and internet for 3 days, but that was only once. Surely something like that couldn't happen again.)

 

I'm relaxed, I'm calm. It doesn't do any good to fret about the things you can't change, right? I'm sure it will be fine... soon, very soon.

 

Nope

 

I checked, the whole town was out. I tried to get online every hour all day Friday and Saturday. I had given up hope for getting online this weekend. I figured whatever it was that had plunged me kicking and screaming back into the 18th century was probably serious enough to require some widget or gadget that would take till Monday to get in.

 

And then...dear Lord, hallelujah! "website found....waiting for download.."

 

Someone had opened the shutters on my window to the world! I take back all those mean things I've said about the people at the phone company and not just the things I said this weekend either. All of them.

 

So, that's where I've been. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go answer some email, respond to a couple of comments and check my feed reader. (I'm not looking too forward to that one.) Talk among yourselves, I'll be back soon.

 

 

If you enjoyed your read, grab my feed!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't live without internet, high speed preferably

Unknown said...

Wow this must be frustrating. This happened to me one year ago, too. A digger accidentally hit a line and more than 100.000 people had no internet.

Must be very frustrating.

What about your new projects? Will you reveal one of them? Is it accessable online?

Best Regards

Markus

Anonymous said...

sorry.. last entry was mine... i don't like those blogger profile pages.

Anonymous said...

I'm hep to that. I just moved to a different city two weeks ago, and the effects of not having internet equate with those of not having caffeine, heroin, or any other addictive thing that must be ingested to reach normalcy.

Heroin is bad for you. That's why I don't do it.

sapheyerblu said...

LOL, Oh honey, I feel so bad for you. I can totally sympathize. I live in gooberville USA, with limited Internet options.

You are a much better person than I. Had this been me, I would have already flipped out, screamed at everyone in the world, and been curled up in a corner in my bedroom babbling. LOL

Welcome back hon, the 21st century missed you.

Anonymous said...

That definitely is frustrating! I can completely understand... its amazing how tied up we are with our online activities and have created a whole life there. Glad you are back though... :)

kuanyin333 said...

Hey, I went through this misery when Maui had a power outage for FOUR days not too very long ago. I was having withdrawal symptoms!

I'm tagging you for a band meme in case you want to play along. :-) Check out Blog-Blond for details.

Ad Tracker said...

@ Sir Jorge - I'm with you!


@ Markus - Frustrating to the point of sillyness ;P

Well, I've introduced Diiscount Deal Finder on here already but, I'm sorry, the others are underserved niches I've worked really hard to find and I don't want to expose them. Hope you understand but thanks for asking :)


@ Wess Stewart - I'm with you. I think sometimes the internet is bad for you too ;)


@ Sapheyerblu - Oh, I don't know how much better I am. I may not be babbling but you haven't seen my tick ;)


@ Pearl - Thanks, it's great to be back :)


@ Kuanyin - No internet was bad enough, I don't know if I could survive without electricity for 4 days ;P