The John Cow Effect

 

 
 

That other J.C. is always crowing about the effect he has on web sites when he mentions them in a blog post or review. Since this blog has been the beneficiary of bovine largesse for the past month from a free banner ad, I felt it only fitting to show the effect it had on my traffic.

 

On November 4th I won a little impromptu contest on John Cow dot com for one month of free advertising on his site. I was totally unprepared and had to throw together a 300 x 250 banner in about 15 minutes including thinking of the copy. The banner at the right is what I came up with. I know, no sense of urgency, blah, blah, blah. I thought it looked kind of cool and hey, I'm not selling anything anyway, right?

 

 

 

 

 

Over the course of the month this blog received 123 hits from JohnCow.com. 90.24% were first time readers and it looks like a few stuck around. Welcome!

 

The banner ad I ran was in a rotation with several others (I'm thinking ten) and the traffic came in waves with never more than eight in a day but never less than one. The traffic may seem a little low for an ad that retails for $75 but the reality is, other than being unique, the ad doesn't beg to be clicked.

 

I'm sure if I were planning to spend $75 for a banner ad, I would put a lot more time into the design and sales copy. That said, I am tickled to death to have received over a hundred first time visitors in the last month and thank John Cow dot com, the Make Mooney Online place, for the exposure.

 

 

If you enjoyed your read, grab my feed!

8 comments:

Michael said...

That's awesome! Congrats!

I've actually been contemplating a review for (December price) of $100 on http://www.sivatar.com

Seems like it might be a good investment. I wonder how the results would compare against an actual review.

BlogStruk said...

Good for you! I think you did a great job with your ad. And I'm not surprised that many of the "1st timers" keep coming back.

Ad Tracker said...

@ Michael - Thanks! I don't know how a review would do. There's a lot of traffic over there, it might be worth it :)


@ BlogStruck - Thanks, that's very nice of you :)

Anonymous said...

I think your banner looks great. I know I'm certainly unprepared to provide a banner of any kind. What a good thing to think of to be prepared, just in case, huh?

Ad Tracker said...

Chris Bloczynski - Thanks Chris.

I have actually had to turn down advertising in the past because I didn't have any creative work available.

You can bet this one will be going back in the vault :)

Anonymous said...

that sure is a great banner! Straight to the point :) what did you use to create this one?

PS: you are the only Blogspot blogger I know who is providing links to your commenters like this :) thats really very nice of you!!

Ad Tracker said...

Pearl - Thanks. I created it with Paint.net. This was actually the first time I ever used it. Just got lucky I guess.

Manually linking is the only thing I could come up with to counter the stupid comment change.

Apurve Mehra said...

The topic that your blog deals with demands loads of research. Thanks to you who has provided the intricate information in simple words.