How did you spend your day?

I have got to work on my time management skills. I spent a large part of the day today submitting the site to directories and search engine sites. I have two major hurdles to overcome while trying to get work done online and I'm not sure which is worse. I tend to get distracted while researching suggestions on other sites. I find myself "chasing rabbits" or following links around to content on other topics I find interesting. I get distracted studying the way others have their blogs set up. A few of the blogs I've been especially impressed with are ProBlogger.net, eMomsAtHome.com , SusanSuarez.com and JohnChow.com. All of these blogs are different in appearance yet share one key factor; they are full of useful information. That is exactly what I'm wanting to achieve here. I believe readers will stumble through almost any design and color palette if they want to read the content, content, content.

As you can see I get distracted easily. I was in the middle of writing a post about my difficulty maintaining focus and started talking about some of the great sites I've been visiting. Duh!

OK! Back on topic. The other big obstacle I've been having difficulty with is my lack of proficiency and expertise as a web developer. I find myself fighting with the site template for what seems like hours just to get a button or widget to line up the way I want it to. I know that I'm somewhat handicapped by this blogger template, but for the purpose of this exercise, I want to keep my expenses as close to zero as possible. Fortunately for me (us?) there are countless site development resources on line for free. If you have no knowledge of HTML and are baffled when you look at source code, don't be ashamed. I can totally recommend HTMLGoodies.com. This site has tutorials or "primers" for every level of experience, from the total newbie to the seasoned pro. I feel like it's important to know what your HTML editor is doing behind the scenes. I'm sure there man, many more tools available out there and I will probably put together a post on that topic after more research.

I know you're asking yourself, "What did she actually accomplish today?". Well, I'll have you know that I was productive today. I got the blog submitted to Blog Dumps, UmmYeah.com directory, Globe of Blogs, Blogarama, Technorati, Blog Search and DMOZ. I also installed widgets for Technorati, Stumble Upon, Reddit and this awesome tool blow from Free Web Submission. Simply enter your URL and email address in the box below and click submit to have your site submitted to 20 search engines, then, if you want to, you can go to the the Free Web Submission site and manually submit your site to 30 more. (I didn't.) Be sure to enter a valid email address because you will receive a few confirmation emails that require validation.


0 comments: